First it depends on the time of day:
- Do not disturb hours – When the wife is asleep.
- The rest of the day
During the Do Not Disturb Hours I usually pick up, but don’t say anything. If it is a real person, or some robocalls, there will be a response on the other end.
- Robocalls that respond – I usually just hang up, sometimes I will just set the phone down and let it go until I here the dead line signal, tying up their system as long as possible.
- Collection calls that ask for someone – I usually use their voice tree to indicate no one by that name here, please remove the number, if available.
- Calls that don’t respond, I set the phone down and let it go until their end hangs up. I might as well tie up their system as long as possible.
- Calls that I recognize as repeats – I run my finger over the dial pad sending them the DTFM tones.
The rest of the time I just let it go to voice mail. Something my generation X children can’t do, they are driven answer the phone.
PS: A friend (Patricia K) just turned me on to NoMoRobo, my VOIP line was eligible for free service so I signed up, hope it works.